Bedrock Gardens Offers Insight to Benefit Your Location
Does having the right landscaping actually add to the value of a property? If you own any sized piece of ground, you may have thought many times about what you might do with it. Many residential and commercial property owners tend to inherit the existing landscape of the previous owners. Perhaps you’ve puttered with putting in a garden, or already planted a tree or a few bushes. Deep down, you might wonder if all the work is worth it.
Looking around areas of Luzerne and Lackawanna counties, you get a sense that many of your neighbors do enjoy taking care of their properties. How is it that some homeowners and business owners really have it together when it comes to landscaping? Unless they have looked into property design and maintenance or studied permaculture, your neighbors may rely on experts. There are local places to turn for advice on landscape design, products, installation, and upkeep.
It all starts, literally, from the ground up. Knowing the size of the area and type of earth you have will help determine its potential use. With help from Bedrock Gardens, you will find ways to add to your property value in significant ways with the right landscaping features. Let us show you some of the benefits.
Expanded Outdoor Living in Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties
Land outside your home or business is the first impression visitors see. Whether you are welcoming friends, family, or customers, proper landscaping defines your front door or directs visitors with interest. Beyond curb appeal or the welcome factor of a manicured lawn, there are ways to use outdoor areas that make sense:
Effective landscaping design takes into account the many ways you intend to use, change, and grow along with your property. Some of the best results come from a little planning.
Getting Down to Details—Landscaping Costs Vs. Value
An overview of the available data as of March 2020 across a variety of research on landscaping’s return on investment (ROI), shows one common theme: Landscaping adds significant value to your home. Here’s what studies have to say:
- Over 75% of top real estate agents across the country say that well-landscaped homes are worth anywhere from 1% to 10% more than homes with no landscaping, according to research at HomeLight.
- One Virginia Tech survey found that landscape expenditures “significantly increase perceived home value,” resulting in a higher selling price than homes with minimal landscaping.
- The more attention you put into the landscape, the more value buyers attach to your home — anywhere from roughly 5% to 12% more, depending on where you live. Researchers found that plant size and “design sophistication” (not just hedges or flower beds along the front and sides of the house, but also perhaps shade trees and islands of plants, or a focal point in the yard) most affected value.
- In general, the more expensive your home — and the more expansive your property — the more money and attention you should spend on your landscape. Consider it a multiplier effect.
- The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) recommends investing 10% of your home’s value in landscaping; Other studies suggest that you can increase your home’s value by 5% to 15% by spending the equivalent percentage on landscape maintenance and upgrades.
- The average cost of installing new landscaping for a 1,200-square-foot yard is about $13,200, within that recommended percentage if your home is valued at $130,000. However, if you’ve already budgeted for landscape and lawn maintenance throughout the year, you might not even spend that much and still recover considerable value.
- The National Association of Realtors (NAR) and the National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP) estimate that applying mulch annually, mowing about 2,800 square feet of lawn, pruning shrubs, and planting about 60 annuals or perennials costs about $3,000 — but has a 100% return on investment (ROI) upon selling.
- HomeLight’s top agents, working with data on national average costs from HomeAdvisor.com, estimate that lawn care service of about $268 adds about $1,200 in value—a 352% ROI. Adding fresh mulch at roughly $340 recoups about 126% upon closing.
- 74% of real estate agents told NAR they suggest sellers complete a maintenance program before putting their homes on the market. What’s more, 17% of those surveyed said recent landscape maintenance had led to a sale.
No Worries If You Are Just Beginning with Landscaping
It does not matter if you are new to the many ideas and options available in landscaping today. With the help of Bedrock Gardens, we can help make the process easy. Discover some quality products that you can add to your home or business location in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties.
Property owners who have already made significant investments on landscaping can also call on Bedrock Gardens to help refine those visions. Adding more to the existing hardscaping installations can give a boost to older areas. We enjoy working with all our customers to help keep their properties looking beautiful.
First Impressions Do Count, Whether You’re Staying or Selling
One tip we would like to leave you with for this month is that first impressions count. When a visitor or buyer sees your property for the first time, the amount of time you put into the property care and landscaping adds to its appeal. These are the first indicators of how well maintained the home or business is. Consider this information from 2018, just two years ago:
A well-landscaped home has a significant price advantage over a home with no landscaping. This advantage ranges from 5.5 percent to 12.7 percent, depending on the type of landscaping and the home’s original value. That translates into an extra $16,500 to $38,100 in value on a $300,000 home. There’s more to landscaping than sticking some flowers and a couple shrubs in the ground, however. The number-one thing that buyers are looking for in landscaping is a manicured design. Close behind is plant size and maturity. A lesser factor, but one still worth considering, is the diversity of plant life within the landscaping design.
Be sure to visit our blog in the coming months to discover more about how Bedrock Gardens can help bring added value to your property. Finding the right landscaping features can, indeed, make a significant difference to your home or business in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties.
Bedrock Gardens and Radznel’s Outdoor Specialties are open six days a week, proudly serving residential and commercial customers in the surrounding Hazleton, PA, region. Like us and keep in touch on Facebook. Call today at (570) 501-3154, or email us for more information.